Basically, I have to answer some questions about the outdoors life, then nominate some other bloggers and give them instructions on what to do next. Here goes.
Q1. If you were restricted to only walking on one hill/mountain, which one would it be and why?
It would have to be Higger Tor. It’s just beautiful, it’s a special walk up, crossing the stream, The views are amazing, you notice something different each time.
Q2. Favourite piece of technology to use when outdoors?
To be honest, I’m torn between my iPhone 5s, and my Fuji Finepix s5000.
The s5000 is totally battered, but it still takes awesome pictures for an 11 yr old camera. When I bought it, it was top of its class for digitals bridge cameras, and I think still has a lot to offer, in that it can shoot in raw format, panoramas are easy to do with it, its images are good enough for print and yet still not too much hassle to compress for the web.
The iphone, is awesome, again the images are web ready, I can share the photos back to my mac in seconds, I can email the pictures and edit them using a range of apps such as Camera+ and snapseed. However, if I can only choose one device, I’ll take the Fuji.
Q3. What was your most memorable walk/run?
There have been a lot really, Perhaps the most memorable walk was in the Chimanimani Hills, Zimbabwe. The views were spectacular, we camped out under the stars, and did some wild swimming in the freezing cold waterfalls.
Q4. What’s your favourite piece of outdoor equipment?
I really don’t have a favourite, but my most useful are my walking boots. Couldn’t do without them. I’m sure my Fellraisers are about to become my new fave though
Q5. What was your funniest and/or scariest moment in the outdoors?
Funniest, was when we were at school, It was a boiling hot day, me and some mates went down to the river for a paddle in Bakewell. We found it was deep enough to swim, so we all stripped off, stark naked and had a good swim. After swimming and drying out we decided to have a game of naked hurdles over a barbed wire fence, Crazy. We all left fully intact, thank the lord.
Q6. If you could create one binding piece of UK legislation, relating to the outdoors, what would it be?
Just to keep ancient paths open and maintained so that we could all use the old forgotten pathways without them being closed off.
Q7. What’s your outdoor ambition?
Out door ambition has to be something like walk/run the great wall of china, or Machu Pichu.but I may never get a chance to do that and I live in the now, So whatever comes.
Q8. If you could choose anyone (from the past or the present), who would you most like to take on a walk in the great outdoors?
I think Nikolai Tesla might be an interesting chap to walk and talk with. I’d ask ask him to enlighten me about his theories on Free energy and if I could have a copy of his notes. If he was tied up, it would have to be Mandela.
Q9. What piece of music, book or film do you associate with getting out?
Dvorack’s New World Symphony of course. No other song says outdoors like that does, It says moors and little towns with cobbled streets, misty hillsides and green forests.
Q10. What outdoor related achievement are you most proud of?
Hathersage Fell Race, which I did this year. It was my first fell race and I loved it even though it was blooming tough running up Karl Wark and Higger Tor.
Q11. Where will your next adventure take you?
Win Hill has been widely talked about by the boys. So I’m thinking that “The Edale Skyline might be the one. Just got to organise it.
11 random facts about me.
- - I am half Anglo Irish, Half Caribbean,Raised in the English Peak District, how’s that for a mix.
- - I lived in Stoke on Trent for 18 years, and developed a love of photographing Bottle Kilns.
- - I used to smoke 30 cigarettes a day.
- - I have met/seen loads of Celebs by accident, Prince Phillip, Henry McGee, Gwyneth Powell (Mrs Mclusky), Craig Charles, Herol Bomber Graham (Boxer), Damon Hill, Jools Holland, Russ Abbott, Princess Anne, Gino Washington(Norther Soul star), Chloe_Newsome(Coronation St), Lee Maconald (zammo), Erkan Mustafa (Roland, Grange Hill), Ram john Holder, (Desmonds), Bernie Grant MP, Ryan Shawcross, Salif Diao, Mathew Etherington, Noel Blake (Stoke City), Phil the Power Taylor (Darts), Jamie John (Seven Dwarves), All of Living Colour, John Blanche (Artist), Mmoloki Chrystie (Grange Hill), Carlton Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday), and one or two others who slip my mind now.
- - I have a half sister I never even knew about until about 12 years ago.
- - In my record collection I have Sade and Iron Maiden, Val Doonican and Dr Dre.
- - My favourite Computer game was Green Beret (spectrum)
- - I have never broken a bone, lest not a proper bone, had a fractured skull a few times but that doesn’t count.
- - I passed my driving test at 19 but didn’t get a car till I was 28.
- - I have stood 20 feet away from a wild Rhino with her calf in Matobo national park, It looked right at me never ever been so scared.
- - I have been blogging for EVER. Since about 2003? This is the longest running blog site, and pretty much has everything decent on it. the rest was a lot of mish-mash stuff that’s been assimilated into other posts.
1. thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. answer 11 questions , which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. 11 random facts about You.
Phils questions to the bloggers
1) Where is your local outdoors?
2) When was the last time you got lost outdoors, in cars doesn’t count.
3) If you could pick one place to be right now. Where in the world and why.
4) What’s the best short walk/run you can share with us?
5) Give us a really useful outdoor tip?
6) What food is an absolute must for outdoors trips?
7) What tech do you take with you on your walks/runs, and why?
8) What’s your most memorable moment outdoors?
9) Share one pub/cafe/guesthouse we should look for on our travels.
10) Name one or more good LOCAL (to you) organisations who help people get ooutdoors more.
11) If you could see the following wildlife on a walk/run which would you opt for?
(A) Deer (B) Adder/Slowworm/Grass Snake (C) Kingfisher
Now give us 11 random facts about yourself.
Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
list these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)